Thursday, July 7, 2016

Journey Through Izildia II: The Plan

This month I'm working in a full-time job + extra job on weekends, so there won't be much progress on this game. To compensate I will reveal some details about what's planned for JTI 2.



The secuel

The setting is 100 years after the return of the elf hero (the end of of JTI). In this case again you're a female elf, and again you will have to travel around Izildia to accomplish some important mission. And of course you will be raped all the way through while completing some secondary quests. You will need more or less the same items than on the first one, plus maybe some more. Ideally there should be a menu where you can select the items you have (and where you can see what you may potentially need).

The plot twist you may ask? It's wartime.


New mechanics 

There will be a bunch of new mechanics on this version. That's because I'll be rewriting the game from scratch on a different game engine (more of that later). To introduce the mechanics of the game the first part of the game will include a tutorial, it will look like this:


I plan to have an inventory, a quest log and a battle system (none of these has been implemented yet by the way). It would be similar to most RPG with a few changes of my own. You will be able to whore youself out to get money and buy items on any city market you find (there will be more than one city, with their own map each), of course there will also be more legitimate ways to get money.

The battle system will probably be text based (like on CoC/Tits or TrapQuest) or maybe something like in MGQ. There won't be levels nor substantial changes on your HP so you will need to upgrade your equipment and stats instead. There will also be skills but you won't choose them, they will be learned automatically when completing certain missions.

So in general the new mechanics will add some extra life to the game but they shouldn't be too complicated either. You shouldn't need to do any grinding to finish the game. However I plan if possible to have multiple endings, and for on of them you will need to do a lot of grinding.

New game engine 

That's right, farewell Blender. JTI II will be made with love, and with that I mean Löve, a 2D game engine based on Lua. I didn't know Lua a month ago when I started making this game and there is still some things that I don't quite get (like why I have to implement myself basic stuff), but so far I have not had any problems.

Since the engine itself isn't complete enough for any decent game, I will also be using some external libraries, those are LoveFrames, Lady and Hump (and just for the name Lust and Boipushy maybe too).

Having a new game engine comes with some major advantages, that's it, support for Android, iOS and HTML5, and also better performance and less size for the game. Fortunately there won't be any problems with OSX anymore either.

Since I'm rewriting the game from scratch, I decided that this time text and images will be separated. This means more work for me, but also more features and faster grammar fixes, say welcome to the in-game text editor. It also means that there may be multilanguage support, or at least anybody will be able to translate it.


Releases

This time I will be realeasing new chapters instead of the whole thing at once. Expect the first realease to only include the first chapter of the story. This effectively means that the game will be much more story driven, similar to the Northdoor quest on JTI 1 (so not to the point that it looks entirely like a VN). It also means that I will have to improve my writting skills.

Hence even if the first relase may come by the end of summer, there won't be a completed version of this game until much more later (though I already have the endings planned).

So, in brief, JTI2 will be great!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like a big project! I'm really looking forward to see it happening, but on the other hand I know how this whole creation process works and I really hope you won't give up halfway through the making of this new game because of the amount of work needed to reach your expectations =)
    Don't worry if you don't write like J.R.R Tolkien, we will stil be happy to play your game ^^
    I'll come back regularly to have some news ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lot of work...
    I am happy to hear news about the project.
    I will wait for the full release (with all chapters) of the game before playing it. I guess it will take a lot of time for such a ambitious project.
    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just downloaded the game, but it is not running, keeps asking for MSVCP140.dll, is this a problem on my end?

    ReplyDelete